The Magic Behind Setting Goals

The Magic behind Setting Goals

Life is like a ship sailing somewhere and your goals are like your rudder, they push you where you need to go. You can have as much power as you want behind the ship but it’s going all over the place, It’s your goals, your rudder than steer you in the right direction.

It’s not a matter of just dreaming and writing these goals down, you have to actually put them into action. There was a study done by Yale University that took down statistics from a group of people. It was found that only 3% had written goals and concrete plans, 13% had written goals and no concrete plans of action and 84% had no goals at all. 3 Years later, the study found that the 3% with goals and plans of action owned more assets than the other 97% combined.

We only consciously use 10% of our brain which makes up our conscious thoughts. The rest of our mind unconscious and untapped and this is what we refer to as the subconscious. We are subconscious beings, your subconscious mind remembers everything from before you were born in the womb until the day you die. The human brain is literally the biggest marvel of this universe as there are more connections in one human mind than there are stars in the universe.

By writing out your goals and having a solid action plan, you activate the Reticular Activating System in your brain. You are using your Conscious mind to program your Subconscious to actively help you make your goals come true. This is like a Captain managing his crew to sail the ship in the right direction. The Captain Steers and the Crew does all the work. If you try to achieve something without utilising your Subconscious, it would be like trying to sail a big Ship all by yourself.

So how do you set Goals?

I like to use a system called SMART Goals. My goals have to be:

Specific – Be specific about exactly what you want

Measurable – you have to be able to measure it eg. $100,000,000 instead of just rich

Attainable – Must be attainable in the present moment

Realistic – It needs to be realistic eg. No matter how much I want to, I can’t grow wings and fly

Time based –  There needs to be a deadline for the goal

I find this system works very well for me, as well as making your goals big and bold so even if you hit just below, you’re still satisfied with the outcome.

So what you need to do is get a big pad and pen and start working out what your goals are for the 7 areas of your life:

  • Personal Finances
  • Career or Business
  • Relationships
  • Mind and Self Improvement
  • Fun + Adventure
  • Health and Fitness
  • Spirituality

Goal setting has helped me achieve some pretty amazing things in life.  I’ve got a beautiful, loving wife, 14 Investment Properties, a beautiful home on the beach, a passion for life, fun and adventure and I spend my days doing what I love, helping other people achieve their goals and dreams.